Monday, October 19, 2009

Alternative Live

Have you ever wondered what these alternative bands sound like live? Do people actually blog about concerts? It was very hard to find but I was actually able to find a little blog that was made up by concert goers. A blog that is maintained by a community of people, that are listeners of radio station 93-XRT, which is based in Chicago. This radio station also powers 93 XRT Concertgoers Blog. This blog consists of the radio station listeners views and opinions of mainly the alternative rock bands that they have recently had the opportunity to experience seeing live. On the blog website they have recent posts about concerts such as Bruce Springsteen, U2, Modest Mouse and Pearl Jam ( all of them mainly in the alternative rock category). It also allows listeners to give information on upcoming concert events that they may have heard of or may be getting the chance to experience live themselves.

My Concert Overview/Timeline


As a twenty three year old I will have to say that I have seen my fair share of concerts. The first concert I ever went to see was Shakira in the Fall of 2003. It was a very interesting concert, but it didn’t quite grab me. It was more for my friend because it was his birthday and he was infatuated with her. I had seen local music talent. I actually got to see Days Like These perform their little musical gigs that got them signed.

In the Spring of 2007 I went to my first two major concert events- MTV Campus Invasion and Bamboozle. MTV’s Campus Invasion was head lined by Alternative-Emo band Dashboard Confessional. I just remember being at Festival Pier and having the night air and breeze coming off of the water, the lights on the stage, and the sounds of Dashboard Confessional. It was amazing. A week later, my brother and I saw that Linkin Park was the Headliner of Bamboozle. Linkin Park is a band that I feel has a remarkable talent. I started listening to them in middle school and I have been hooked ever since.

We traveled up to the Meadowland to the Bamboozle Concert event. I think this still has to be the biggest concert event I have ever been to. There were four stages with a ton of alternative music acts. I was in heaven. I got to see bands such as The Brand New, The Early November, Aberlin, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Killswitch Engage, Yellowcard, Thrice, Taking Back Sunday, and of course Linkin Park. When Linkin Park played their hit single “In the End” I think I was almost in tears. It was a beautiful experience. If there is one song that just hits me- it is that one. It was just one of those songs that said it all for me.

The next major concert event for me was radio station WMMR’s MMRBQ 2. This concert event had acts such as Seether, Collective Soul, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, and Live. Once again it was another wonderful experience. In May I went to another concert event for WMMR, it was their MMRBQ 2008- this was the first of the three times that I saw Staind. I also got to see Everclear, the Hooters, and Stone Temple Pilots. I was blown away! The lights and the sounds and the pyrotechnics and the backgrounds on the big screen- I think the people that were drug induced really enjoyed that one.

In the summer of 2008 I saw Staind for the second time along with alternative rock band Hinder and Three Doors Down. It was just a great show in general. A week later I traveled to Toms River with my cousin to see Daughtry, Live, Collective Soul, and Avril Lavigne ( she doesn’t really fit in the alternative rock category). I will have to say it was one of the greatest concerts I have been to. When Live came on we were right at the barricade and Chris Daughtry made a surprise appearance as Live was playing their edition of Johnny Cash’s “I Walk The Line”. My cousin was in tears and I was just in awe to be so close to two great musicians and being able to see it all.

Just this past August I was allowed the opportunity to see Staind for the third time. My boyfriend was able to see one of his favorite rock bands Chevelle and this was our first concert together. The last two shows performed by Staind were pretty much identical, but with this one they broke the mold. They played new sets and Aaron Lewis walked into the audience and did an acoustic performance of two of their hit singles. They also showed that they haven’t forgotten where they came from.

Now were in the fall…not really a concert season…but I’m praying my concert of 2010 will be Breaking Benjamin along with Three Days Grace. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)





Various Authors ( October 19,2009) 93-XRT Concert goers Blog. Retrieved Ocotber 19,2009
from http://www.concertgoersblog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment